Saturday, June 7, 2014

DONTÉ TURNER

 
DONTÉ TURNER
“I am What I am”
4:33
2014

Although there are many qualities and characteristics that define an individual, it is somewhat odd to think that one’s hair can be included in these defining moments. The style, length, texture, color, and other aspects of hair are all things that create uniqueness about us. People shave, donate, and buy hair to serve many purposes; it has the power to bring awareness to certain health issues, it can be depicted as a symbol for strength and even simply become a sort of fashion statement.  My every day involves spending least ten to fifteen minutes styling my hair. It is naturally curly, but because I live in such a dry climate, I spend endless amounts of money buying hair products to keep my hair moisturized and healthy. Living in a predominantly white community where most of the women have fine, straight hair, I do sometimes feel pressured to change my hair so that it is not so wild and kinky. However, I have grown to embrace my curly, textured locks because it is a part of my identity and it represents my culture.    

No comments:

Post a Comment