Saturday, June 7, 2014

MILLIE WATTERS

MILLIE WATTERS
“Spiritually Commuting”
2014
4:33
As a University of Colorado - Boulder graduate student living in southwest Denver, I spend several hours or more per day commuting. When I am not traveling to and from Boulder, I am making trips to Denver either to gather with my faith community or attend an art or educational event.  In these liminal spaces the various cultures and encounters I have experienced throughout the day (both within my travel and in my common experience) have an opportunity to mingle.  An even greater constant in this time of personal introspection is my awareness of God and my spirituality. Prayers, songs, and wonderings lift up in the midst of transit.  My faith in Christ has consistently compelled me to move beyond comfort and across boundaries culturally. Jesus’ teachings and example have enriched my life in the area of building relationships with those who do not share my ethnic or racial heritage. Beyond relational engagement, I have been grafted into a spiritual family that represents every tribe, nation and tongue. Commuting is a metaphorical reminder that my present physical reality is not my spiritual finality.

No comments:

Post a Comment