Saturday, June 7, 2014

STEPHANIE KANTOR

STEPHANIE KANTOR
“Mandarin Sounds: An Attempt to Learn”
2014
5:04
As my first solo adventure in China approaches in less than two weeks, I cannot stop thinking about the language barrier that I will face.  I have been studying Chinese ceramics and visual culture for the past year, yet I know absolutely nothing about the languages spoken there.  As I explore China, I will absorb as much visual culture and art as possible but when I need supplemental information, how do I communicate? In this video, I wanted to explore my honest attempt to begin to understand such a complex language and show the struggle of pronouncing sounds that are so different from my own.  My friend, Alex Creighton, was kind enough to introduce me to Mandarin, the pronunciation of vowels, consonants, tones, and basic phrases.

No comments:

Post a Comment